I have a higher and grander expectation of life than average and everyday, but I am a realist and understand that life is 90% mediocre and 10% amazing; I can lie to myself, living as ignorance is bliss, but Instead, I choose to enjoy every bit grand or low.
-- Softhearted
A Single, MSW Student, & Self-confessed hardhead (1986 - ?)

Sunday, July 27, 2008

To UCLA...I Go


Did You know that The Copts are a group of Christian Eygptians? How about this...had you any idea that their are two Popes? The Roman Catholic Pope Benedict XVI and Coptic Orthodox Pope Shenouda III.

The joy in life is really to just give life a chance. To learn something new and to challenge yourself with new activities. For me the recent challenge was to present at a conference at UCLA. I am not a good public speaker...my hands shake and my eyes loose focus, my breath comes slowly and I speed talk. Giving the speech to my graduating class in High School I swore that would be it...no more speechs and no more public speaking engagements. WELL I LIED! I was honored...and terrified at the prospect of being invited to present a paper at the 10th Annual UCLA St. Shenouda Coptic Conference. Honor:To be one of only a few special speakers amongst famous men such as Prof. James Robinson and Dr. Mark Swansen. Terror: Standing in front of 50 people and presenting a paper in front of Doctors, Scholars and Preists. I managed to be terrified and still give my presentation without stumbling or forgeting the words.

Walking to the podium, I tried hard to breath and remember all the hints I had been given like "look over the crowd" "smile" "Just take your time everything will be ok" but I knew that it wasn't going to be ok. I step onto the stage plant my hands firmly onto the podium and set down my paper. Starting with "Its an Honor to be here to present..." and ending with "Thank you". I thought, wow...that wasn't so bad. Until the questions began. Question one...a cinch...Question two...oh geez...breath...ok...done, applause...Step off the stage, walked back to my seat. I believe in luck and that might have just been my lucky day. I had two offers to publish my paper in scholarly references i.e. peer reviewed works and I didn't trip getting off the stage. All I have to say is I came, I saw, and I conquered...My challenge for the summer is over...Thank you Dr. Vivian, Hany Takla and the St. Shenouda Coptic Society for giving me this chance.
Goodnight Cyberspace...Stay softhearted..

2 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

Wow, Courtney! Good for you, girl! That's a huge challenge to overcome and succeed at. I could never do that.
I commend you on your bravery, knowledge and success!

Kat

Tony Stark said...

Good job, congrats!!!