I have a higher and grander expectation of life than average and everyday, but I am a realist and understand that life is 90% mediocre and 10% amazing; I can lie to myself, living as ignorance is bliss, but Instead, I choose to enjoy every bit grand or low.
-- Softhearted
A Single, MSW Student, & Self-confessed hardhead (1986 - ?)

Sunday, October 28, 2007

I Had No Idea!

Etymology lesson...Sort of. Do you know the historic origin of the word boycott? I had no idea. Last Thursday in my Irish History 313 class we read an article my a prominent Irish historian about the Land Question in Ireland. Out of the blue...or shall I say out of the green Isle of Erin the case of Boycott arose. Lord Boycott was the landlord of a piece of land in Ireland. Boycott expelled the tenant he rented this land to in order to plant large plots of Corn...the UK type'. The Irish tenants rose against Boycott...refusing to allow his villainy go unpunished. The Army and the Peelers had to be called in to save Boycott's crops and life. Yet, it was unsuccessful. Boycott took such losses that he gave up and returned to Britain. Therefore when we use the word boycott...praise Erin. We can also praise Erin for Oscar Wilde, Celtic Music, Shamrocks, beautiful mythology and St. Patrick's day...especially green beer!

2 comments:

Tony Stark said...

I can definitely say I've learned something new today. WOW, I never knew that. Thanx for sharing.

Kat Mortensen said...

Praise Erin for Irish Whisky and leprechauns and The Waterboys and Irish coffee and Yeats and Joyce and on and on (I'm Irish, can you tell?)

Poetikat