I have a higher and grander expectation of life than average and everyday, but I am a realist and understand that life is 90% mediocre and 10% amazing; I can lie to myself, living as ignorance is bliss, but Instead, I choose to enjoy every bit grand or low.
-- Softhearted
A Single, MSW Student, & Self-confessed hardhead (1986 - ?)

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Holiday Fever!


Is it just me or have all the American people become more selfish. The economy is in a downturn but all I hear about is people complaining that they can't give their children ipods and Wii's for Christmas. When the money is short, we used to give gifts like loaves of banana nut bread wrapped in colorful paper, plates of persimmon cookies and knitted pot holders. I mean, I don't even know if we were poor back then...I don't know If I realized there was a difference...I have very fond memories of childhood Christmases and I don't believe my parents ever spent more than 50 dollars on me once. Why is it that as a nation we have come to equate wealth, bling and status with success. Its charming, flashy and sexy...I suppose, but what about what really matters. All of that success eventually becomes meaningless.

Why have the days of caroling been replaced with downloads of The first Noel and Silent night...I mean, I love my ipod as much as the next individual, but it will never replace going and listening to a Christmas choir in person. Every year, I go to at least 6 church Christmas programs they are free and lovely. Not that you have to attend church...its just there is so much in life that can bring joy and holiday cheer that doesn't cost thousands of dollars...All I am really trying to say is...can't we teach our children to look past the dollar signs...

So to ease my conscience a bit, I have developed a list of low cost and free holiday cheer, help me add to it:

  1. Homemade Hot cocoa...not Starbucks
  2. Homemade Sugar cookies
  3. Strings of cranberries and popcorn for the Christmas tree
  4. Christmas Cards made on the Home computer (tons less than buying in the store)
  5. Listening to the Radio Station with Christmas tunes rather than buying new CDs
  6. Reuse wrapping paper and Christmas bags for presents
  7. Use Funnies to wrap gifts
  8. Bring out the China for holiday dinners instead of the Dixie cups and plates
  9. Use the old ornaments from the closet rather than buying new ones this year
  10. ...still to come

1 comment:

Tony Stark said...

homemade eggnog (w/ the rum), homemade ornaments, & popcorn strings around the tree.