I have a higher and grander expectation of life than average and everyday, but I am a realist and understand that life is 90% mediocre and 10% amazing; I can lie to myself, living as ignorance is bliss, but Instead, I choose to enjoy every bit grand or low.
-- Softhearted
A Single, MSW Student, & Self-confessed hardhead (1986 - ?)

Friday, November 30, 2007

Hope, Joy...Financial Woe?


Thank goodness, there are very few times in my life when I can look back and say my family forgot their holiday spirit. We are not the Lampoons or the Family down the block that use 2,000,000 Christmas lights to cover the house with holiday cheer. We are usually the family who waits to mid-December before putting up a string of lights down the fence, around the bay window and up the banister of the back steps. We are the family who must schedule the tree pick up because we are all running 3 separate ways, but we are also the family that always trims the tree together. Unfortunately this year, the house seems to be covered with a haze of the Scrooges and Ba humbugs. Its been a hard year financially for all of us, but it seems that is all anyone can think about. Sorrow becomes me, because I can't figure out a way to pull them from the depths of despair to hot cocoa and cookies. I've come out with an idea. That is truly revolutionary, well...at least in my family. The idea...to have a Christmas with no presents. I want to invite our entire family for a meal, coffee, a yule log and some festive music. At this Christmas party the only gift to be exchanged will be Christmas cards, kind words, hugs, kisses and smiles. I'm tired of feeling as though the world has been turned upside down because of gifts. What do you think Masters and Geniuses of Cyberspace? Do you find this idea invigorating and enlivening for the true Christmas season or do you find it a drag?

5 comments:

Maxine Perella said...

in fact, that should be the best xmas - no presents. i applaud you if you go against the grain, because i know it must be really hard to do. i personally don't care about xmas, if you're not religious then it's really for the kids, getting them all excited an' all.

adavait said...

just loved your from the heart 'idea'. thx for the visit and pleasure of an addon

jamie-lee said...

thanks for droppin by! :) i love christmas. And the part bout chrismas i enjoy the most is when everyones cuddled up and cozy, just spending time together. I think u will find this year more meaningful then others cause what can possibly be better than being able to have your family and friends around. Gifts have lost their meanings while written letters are still touching hearts. Have a great christmas!! :) xx

Kat Mortensen said...

This Christmas, K and I have decided to take the money we would use on each other and divide it up for some of our favourite charities. We will buy some gifts for family members, but for each other, we're reaching out to the world at large.
Kat

Tony Stark said...

i wouldn't say it was a bad idea. have you thought about making gifts, like many people do for Kwanzaa. ether way, good idea ;)