I have a higher and grander expectation of life than average and everyday, but I am a realist and understand that life is 90% mediocre and 10% amazing; I can lie to myself, living as ignorance is bliss, but Instead, I choose to enjoy every bit grand or low.
-- Softhearted
A Single, MSW Student, & Self-confessed hardhead (1986 - ?)

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Naughty Pleasures!



Who isn't a fan of BBC? I love Blue Planet...Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple...numerous shows of the yester year and a few new. I have a confession to make to all BBC humor fans: I found the Monty Python films very disturbing, and vowed never to watch anymore after the Search for the holy grail. I thought I had put to bed any love I had for BBC humor. I was wrong...I confess I have found a well of humor in FAWLTY TOWERS. I believe it was first aired in 1975 and only aired for a short time ,but its wickedly humorous and terribly naughty.The episodes are not the least bit Politically correct...but I nearly laughed myself into the hospital after the episode "The Wedding Party." John Cleese is spectacular...his legacy shall be remembered forever. It should be illegal to have as much trouble as poor Basil does! Fawlty Towers has redeemed BBC humor and given me the itch for a bit more.Now..I may not go in for Hotel Babylon or the Office, but Fawlty Towers will go down in the Softhearted handbook of hilarium. Any recommendations?

P.S Starbucks has their Gingerbread back! Having soft fresh slices of gingerbread at a coffee house should be illegal...there are probably 400 calories...in one slice. What I would do for a pill that would make those 400 calories disappear with no work...

3 comments:

Maxine Perella said...

ahh, basil fawty ... and manuel! them were the days. there are tonnes of good comedy series to choose from, umm, try hancock's half hour ... the liver birds ... citizen smith ... et al, et al.

Kat Mortensen said...

"Que?"
Each time you write, you astonish me with how similar we are. I only last week purchased the entire Fawlty Towers on dvd. I have been wanting it for ages and it cropped up in a discount store here (called "Giant Tiger" of all things) for a mere $29.99! I was ecstatic.
You want recommendations? You must see "The Thin Blue Line" with Rowan Atkinson...naughty and hilarious (doesn't cross the line, really). Also, check out The Vicar of Dibley and if you like travel programs - any of Michael Palin's are brilliant (and funny).
When I was in my 20s I attended a Monty Python and the Holy Grail party dressed as one of the nurses. We even jousted!
MP is an acquired taste - I actually laughed at the most inane stuff on that show, i.e. "And now, number one: The Larch. And now, number two: The Larch." Gut-busting in the extreme. Just don't ask me to explain it.

Poetikat

Kat Mortensen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.