I have a higher and grander expectation of life than average and everyday, but I am a realist and understand that life is 90% mediocre and 10% amazing; I can lie to myself, living as ignorance is bliss, but Instead, I choose to enjoy every bit grand or low.
-- Softhearted
A Single, MSW Student, & Self-confessed hardhead (1986 - ?)

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Ink'd

What is the charm of injecting ink into your skin? Having ingrained images of teddy bears, scorpions, dice, stars, naked women, names permanently implanted on your lower back, bicep, ankles or face. I by no means intend on being offensive, but the idea is somewhat disturbing. Tattoos seem to be crowding the skin of people from 16 to 105. Is it peer pressure, is it a beauty mark, or is it a sign of power? The ability to set through hours of pain and have something to show for it? I find that tattoos do not enhance the appearance of beautiful women or handsome men. Actually to me they are ugly accessories, too many tattoos cover up the importance of the human underneath.
How much do they cost? 80 to 100 dollars an hour ! The average time for a extensive complex tatoo: several hours. What really is most abhorrent to me is that tattoo ink isn't regulated by any type of health or human safety organization, no FDA or initialized government department. Often tattoo inks contain several heavy metals, carcinogens, and nasty additives that if ever released into the blood or exposed to the right conditions can cause poisoning, cancer and hepatitis. Do people realize this when they go into a tattoo parlor, that it's like playing Russian roulette with your blood stream? Bertha, Julia, Mona and Marissa, might someday divorce, leave or move on and then you have to get that ugly monument to lost love lazered off?

2 comments:

Tony Stark said...

It use to be that it was taboo to have ink done, so when you saw someone with a tat it was "special". Now tats are so common it's the other way around. I find that people (especially females) look better without them myself.

DragonRaid said...

i disaprove of tatoos myself. the whole idea of having ink on your skin and the possible sicknesses...yeah i'd rather not.