I have a higher and grander expectation of life than average and everyday, but I am a realist and understand that life is 90% mediocre and 10% amazing; I can lie to myself, living as ignorance is bliss, but Instead, I choose to enjoy every bit grand or low.
-- Softhearted
A Single, MSW Student, & Self-confessed hardhead (1986 - ?)

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Juiced Up Life

I admit it, I am a lover of fresh carrot juice. At one time I would spend 4 dollars every chance I got for a glass from a juice bar. I know the money should have been spent in many better ways, but I am weak. One look at a glass of neon orange juice and my mouth waters. One more confession, I have family that holds membership in a wholesale bulk store, Costco. Forgive me, as I confess I am weak. I enjoy walking down those huge aisles and looking at pounds and pounds of usless foods and products. Products ranging from Frozen lasagna to Pencil lead from crates of apples to boxes of zucchini. 29 different varieties of snack food, 14 brands of olives, 9 different kinds of toothpicks, 25 different types of chocolate bar, 10 colors of roses, clothes, bicycles, appliances, mountainous cookies, pies and cakes. You can spend the whole day looking for a box of Kleenex, but in the process find every soda known to man or woman. Yet, the Costco marketing team is full of evil intelligence. Along the entrance of the store they pack from floor to ceiling the newest and greatest appliances. One fateful day, right there under the glow of fluorescent light to my left was a Jack Lalanne Power juicer for 80 dollars.....have you had one of their moments when lightening strikes. I realized I could make fresh carrot juice for pennies rather buying it. I had no idea what doors a juicer opened. I have juiced nearly every fruit and vegetable sold in the grocery store. THEY ARE DELICIOUS. I spent the first month I owned my juicer on a liquid vegetarian diet, Juice morning, afternoon and evening. My diet was nearly 85% liquid. I've juiced watermelons, honeydews, apples, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, oranges, peaches, nectarines, apricots, mangoes, papaya, carrots, tomatoes, celery, lettuce, peppers, cucumbers....much more. I think I am addicted. I love my juicer. I love juice. That is until I nearly passed out, due to anemia and protein deficiency. Well, that might be a little bit of an overstatement, but juice isn't and normally shouldn't be ones whole diet. Juice is a good way to get precious vitamens, minerals, and antioxidants. Listen to the wisdom of your Mother: Everything in moderation. No matter how good something is: Juice or chocolate. You learn fast that a little is good, a lot is great, but too much is always too much.

No comments: