I have a higher and grander expectation of life than average and everyday, but I am a realist and understand that life is 90% mediocre and 10% amazing; I can lie to myself, living as ignorance is bliss, but Instead, I choose to enjoy every bit grand or low.
-- Softhearted
A Single, MSW Student, & Self-confessed hardhead (1986 - ?)

Monday, August 20, 2007

Old Lamps, New Light

One mans trash is another man's treasure? Tis true for me. Except the trash was my grandparent's broken lamp circa 1960's. The lamp is about 3 feet tall, the base is a massive ornately ridged amber glass vase settled tightly on a brass stand. Completely gorgeous, or at least it was to my eyes. The lamp sat in the driveway covered in dirt, the wires strung out everywhere, the lamp shade sun bleached and cracked, the base separated. Can you imagine such a travesty? I immediately asked My Grandmother for the lamp. With smirks and smiles my Grandmother said, "Of course, take it, here let me carry it out to your car." I couldn't imagine why she would give away such a beautiful antique lamp or how she could let it set in the driveway. After many applications of soap water and elbow grease. I finally twisted the light bulb in and pushed in the switch. Tink, Tink, Tink....oh please come on...Tink, flash ....light. The lamp lite up the entire room. Beautiful, Magnificent, superb, awe inspiring. So Grandma what do you think of that lamp now? Sorry, its not for sale. No, I don't mind if you want to come look at it. Yes that is the original lampshade. Seriously, I washed it, dried it and did major repair. No, Grandma I have room. But honestly, I do have to Thank you, Grandma for giving it to me.

No comments: