I have a higher and grander expectation of life than average and everyday, but I am a realist and understand that life is 90% mediocre and 10% amazing; I can lie to myself, living as ignorance is bliss, but Instead, I choose to enjoy every bit grand or low.
-- Softhearted
A Single, MSW Student, & Self-confessed hardhead (1986 - ?)

Sunday, August 19, 2007

To Wash or To Wash Not

One 1998 champagne Ford Crown Victoria covered in dust, a little bird mess, some road tar splattered intermittently on the undercarriage, 1 broken hub cap cover (broke when I kicked it angrily...ouch), and a blue CHP antenna ball, This is my car. Nothing exciting, no slamming stereo or shiny rims, just a car that gets 23 mpg. Not really fuel efficient or environment friendly, but it gets me to school, work and back home. It was my 18th birthday present from my grandparents. I check my own oil, tire pressure, and fluids. I change my own tires not happily, but I do it. Yet, there is one thing I don't do, wash it. I think it is a huge waste of water. When the time comes that we have to choose between showers, lawns, gardens and washing our cars. I won't have to make a decision. I've already decided: Showers and gardens. A car gets dirty from the moment the water dries on, continually the air carries tiny particles of extra fine dust that stick to the paint layer upon layer. I wonder if by the time a car is 10 years old if 75% of the paint is dust? I believe the hype behind washing is actually Car dealerships. The more you wash a car, the more often the layers of attached dust take away minuscule bits of paint. Therefore, you will either have to paint your car or buy another and we all know buying another car is much more fun. Don't buy into the hype save water and paint, Don't wash.

No comments: