I have a higher and grander expectation of life than average and everyday, but I am a realist and understand that life is 90% mediocre and 10% amazing; I can lie to myself, living as ignorance is bliss, but Instead, I choose to enjoy every bit grand or low.
-- Softhearted
A Single, MSW Student, & Self-confessed hardhead (1986 - ?)

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Fresh Basil!

I love Basil! With a scent sweet and spicy. A flavor reminiscent of anise. My taste for Basil has matured into an addiction. I eat Thai two days a week during the fall, winter and Spring quarters. I don't know how I survived before, if you've never tasted a true Thai curry you haven't lived. Do you know that Basil makes or breaks a true Stir Fry, Pad Thai, and Curry? Now I am the proud owner of Cinnamon Basil, African Blue Basil, Holy Basil, Red Basil and Italian Basil. Who knew that it was more than just a spice? That it was powerful, amazing and beautiful. Basil has a powerful history riddled with myth and holiness. To certain cultures it is holy herb that can heal, protect, and bring good fortune. The etymology of 'basil' comes from the Greek word for King: its fabled that Basil grew on the spot where St. Constantine and Helen discovered the Holy Cross. Basil is the symbol for love in Italy (I wish someone would send me a bouquet of Basil) and hatred in Greece. Religiously it purifies water in the Orthodox church, revered as holy by Buddhists and Hindus. Jew's believe basil strengthens resolve during fasting. African mythology asserts that basil wards off scorpions in the desert. Mysteriously Basil in many cultures protects one after life providing them safe passage to the underworld. Never eat to just eat, Eat to Live! Know what you eat! Life is more than what meets the eye!

No comments: