I have a higher and grander expectation of life than average and everyday, but I am a realist and understand that life is 90% mediocre and 10% amazing; I can lie to myself, living as ignorance is bliss, but Instead, I choose to enjoy every bit grand or low.
-- Softhearted
A Single, MSW Student, & Self-confessed hardhead (1986 - ?)

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Hurt, Lingers like...


Sometimes the people you love and care about the most do you the most harm. Spouses, Lovers, Friends, Family, with close contact comes propensity for aggravation, irritation, hurt and great joy. In times when my best friends push me away, alienate me and turn me into a object to deny relation with...I wonder how they can sleep at night. My mind and heart ache at these small rejections and losses of moments where we can experience great joy. Life is so short and filled with so much terror, horror and disintegration. Why do we work to tear one another down?
Why be selfish when you could be selfless?
Why deny when you can give?
Why have pleasure if it causes so much pain?
Martin Buber asserts that all life is relation and when we deny this relation we treat one another as an It...an object. We treat the other human if we own it, we alienate ourselves from God and from one another. Great atrocities in history were committed when Nations abdicate humanity in favor of objectification and ownership...The Holocaust, Darfur, The Holmodor....when will it end...Could it end if we would just stop hurting one another in our daily lives and squelch our propensity to treat each other as ITs and begin to treat one another as YOUs....living breathing human entities interconnected in every action, breath and word.

1 comment:

DragonRaid said...

through all the pain, we struggle to find comfort. we expose ourselves in hopes of finding it, and get hurt in the process. it is human nature to be selfish. but no one can own a person. everyone is YOU not an IT.