I have a higher and grander expectation of life than average and everyday, but I am a realist and understand that life is 90% mediocre and 10% amazing; I can lie to myself, living as ignorance is bliss, but Instead, I choose to enjoy every bit grand or low.
-- Softhearted
A Single, MSW Student, & Self-confessed hardhead (1986 - ?)

Sunday, September 2, 2007

Grandma's Anniversary

People scurry to and fro, back and forth, left and right, all packaged chaotically in a small home. The heat is unbearable, the swamp cooler just won't do the trick. Hey Mom how about we go buy a block of ice and drop inside? People murmur loud and quite about memories from the past. Some sitting close on dinning room chairs, others lounging on the couch, a few squished uncomfortably in white plastic patio chairs used on these occasion as living room furniture. (The Genius of Rednecking it!) Two sets of Grandparents sharing stories of times far forgotten in the minds of the youth present. One of the youth sets hanging on every word (that's me) just trying to capture these memories for herself, Another types away on a aged laptop trying to play dogfights with slow Internet, the last two set arms intertwined with thoughts of loving on their minds. Conversation drifts from Oil Derricks to Missions.

Finally the Feast is set with BBQ chicken, Potato salad, one dish that might still be alive brought by an Aunt that you just smile and pass by, beans with no spice, and bread that wasn't cut through the bottom crust so that half a dozen dinners must wrench loose hot chunks of garlic buttered toast. As dinner comes to an end the Family searches for a delectable dessert but all come up blank. I wonder do they not realize their is no dessert. Grandma and Grandpa whose anniversary it is move their eyes to me....Grandma says, "Wheres my Anniversary cake?" Wide eyed I answer, "We have no cake" Grandma smiles with a twinge of irritation, "Your fired" The group bursts in to laughter but Grandma keeps that expression of hurt. I race to the Kitchen for a Cupcake or Snack cake anything that will satisfy the sweet tooth of an old woman. Finally in desperation I break my Organic Dark 70% Chocolate bar in half and present it to Grandma and Grandpa with smiles and laughs. Yet, Grandma can only wonder, "Is this sweetened?" A wayward Aunt goes into the kitchen looking for any remnants of the Chocolate she didn't share. Sorry, there isn't a bite more......I will never again not make a cake....I love my Family. Welcome to the Family!

No comments: