I have a higher and grander expectation of life than average and everyday, but I am a realist and understand that life is 90% mediocre and 10% amazing; I can lie to myself, living as ignorance is bliss, but Instead, I choose to enjoy every bit grand or low.
-- Softhearted
A Single, MSW Student, & Self-confessed hardhead (1986 - ?)

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

What Will The Icons Of Our Time Be?

What will our century be remembered for?
Will we be enlightened? Primitive? Destructive? Bloody? Genocidal?
Social disorder,
Genocide,
Environmental destruction,
Divorce,
Abuse,
Death,
War,
How about Hiroshima and Auschwitz? Have we done anything in the years after WWII to further the advancement of Humanity? Not technology, but to further Ethical behavior, Human decency, Equality, Respect? To bring health, to end suffering, to insure life?

"What will intelligent people one hundred years from now regard as the icons of our times?" (David Blumenthal)

I don't want to be remembered as a citizen of the only country to drop an atomic bomb. I don't want to be remembered as the person who watched others starve as I ate and got fat. I want to be remembered as a human, who worked to empower the humanity of others by remembering and taking responsibility. Yet, I must be remembered as this person who was apart of this as all human must, in order for the memory to live on. David Blumenthal asserts that in order for humanity to respond to human suffering we must feel guilt and responsibility for what happens in the world. He rightly asserts that the icons for our century will be Hiroshima and Auschwitz because the terror of these events and their effects on our lives far out ways any advancements that have been made. With out identifying with victims, how can we ever come to know them. Be with me, stand beside all victims, all those who starve, need, cry, hurt, and die, feel and be horrified for them, so that we can find cures, solutions and ends to their many sufferings.

No comments: