I have a higher and grander expectation of life than average and everyday, but I am a realist and understand that life is 90% mediocre and 10% amazing; I can lie to myself, living as ignorance is bliss, but Instead, I choose to enjoy every bit grand or low.
-- Softhearted
A Single, MSW Student, & Self-confessed hardhead (1986 - ?)

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Shhhh....

Sit for 3 minutes in silence. Take deep breaths, close your eyes. Its harder than it sounds, but I believe if you do this 3 times a day you will be a better person for it. Do it I dare you! Silence is a very powerful thing. When used in the right contexts and situations the change it makes can be creative and transformative. In silence the workings of the mind become loud and unyielding. One must deal with them and conquer them or once again return to noise and chaos in order to tame the mind....Mother Teresa claims "See how nature-trees, flowers, grass-grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...we need silence to be able to touch souls." Without the soul we are beings lost into a void of nothingness, the abdication of thought is what causes most evil in the world. Others like Thomas Merton assert "solitude and silence teach me to love my brothers for what they are, not for what they say".Silence allows one to examine the deepest layers of being and gather up the dregs of goodness deep inside that we alienate with daily life....use at least 3 minutes of your day to recharge your being in concentrated thought, it will be a refuge for your soul.

3 comments:

Maxine Perella said...

don't need to tell me that, i love silence. i go actively looking for it! there is so much background noise these days that finding it can be quite hard. but yep, i love it. i love being alone. just me.

DragonRaid said...

silence is the key to thought. it allows us to think clearly and assess the situation, even discover ourselves...

Don't waste your breath said...

I totally agree...noise just distracts us from connecting with what is real sometimes